Friday, August 28, 2009

Why of course I remember you!

It appears as though, for a time, I forgot my thorough adoration for classical music. Luckily, today I stumbled across Barber's Adagio for Strings by mere happenstance.

My mind flashed back to playing it in high school - sitting concertmaster in chamber orchestra (a position I really wasn't good enough to hold) and yelling at Trevor for not minding his decrescendos and for sliding his shifts.

I had good times with orchestra. Even at this point in my life, certain pieces of music can bring me close to tears. Vivaldi's Guitar Concerto in D Minor, Wieniawski's Legende, Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto No. 1 in G Minor, fuck even Smetana's Moldeau from seventh grade pulls at my heart when I hear it.














Music has and forever will be an integral part of my life. It is my escape, it is my creation, it is my delight. Holszt's The Planets can pull me away from existential crises and the aforementioned Barber piece will lusciously drag me down to the lowest of lows.

I wish I could understand the emotional, spiritual connection behind this music. All I know is that it actually has the ability to knock my legs out from under me. Impact, indeed.

2 comments:

whitney! said...

let it be known that I was catching up on your blog (while I was supposed to be writing a lab report) and then continued to listen to every song you mentioned.

Alone in my apartment, classical music blasting, I was moved to tears pretty quickly and was very comfortable staying in the teary classical music daze... until Joshua walked in and thought I was crazy.

Hope the freshman aren't annoying!

Kate said...

yes! somebody who can empathize with my relationship to classical music!

have you blogged lately? you should.