Sunday, August 2, 2009

Terrible music stuck in my head all friggin day.

I feel obligated to post because it's Sunday. For some reason, my general trend is posting on Wednesday and Sunday. Whatever.

My parents went camping last week (as previous posts suggested). As part of my effort to clean last Sunday, I did all of my laundry. A few hours after I had finished my two large loads (darks and colors) I found one lonely pair of jeans to wash and dry. Upon throwing them in the dryer and starting it up, an awful squeaking noise began to emanate from the dryer. I immediately stopped it and quickly glanced around for the source. Not finding anything, I tried the dryer again. The noise continued and I gave up my efforts. I figured that the dryer was pseudo-broken and that I should probably not touch it until the return of my parents for fear of ultra-breaking it.

A few minutes later, I found myself in the kitchen. I heard a scratchy squeaking noise, very similar to the sound of Misty clawing at the back door. Automatically, I went to let her in. No cat in sight. Again I heard the noise. This time I pegged it as coming from the basement. Nervous, I grabbed a giant knife and headed down the stairs. I followed the noise into the laundry room and stood facing my opponent: the dryer. I was rather concerned at this point - I figured if the dryer was making awful noises without even being on, I really fucked something up. I mentally inventoried my options for the situation and decided to simply abandon it.

I hadn't set foot in the laundry room since the dryer freaked out at me. When my parents returned on Thursday, they noted an awful smell coming from that general region of the basement. Long story short, an unfortunate chipmunk met an untimely demise in our dryer. It came through the vent (the flap not having closed properly), fell straight down to the bottom, and somehow dragged itself into the fan. Although the fan hadn't chopped the chipmunk as I expected, it had trapped it completely. When I turned on the dryer with my jeans inside, the chipmunk had been going around and around and around, unable to escape. There he died. Gross.

In other news, Andy came home again. We leave to go camping on Wednesday, so that post probably won't happen. However, I'll hopefully have more interesting things to write about after a few days on the north shore.

No comments: