Friday, August 21, 2009

So maybe I lied.

Fuck unpacking.

Boats. I really like boats.
I'm not quite sure what the intrigue is. It's not just any boats. Yachts: dumb. Big speedboats: only for tools. Massive ass cargo ships: cool but unrealistic.

I'm into the self-propelled type. Rowboats. Kayaks. Canoes. Sailboats (I realize these aren't self-propelled, get off my fucking case). Paddle boats would be awesome if they weren't so utterly useless. I used to really like paddle boats. When I was about eight. Eleven years later, I'm a bit too cool. Which is fine.

I wish I could circumnavigate the globe via kayak. (sidenote: I just put up wicked glow-in-the-dark planet stickers and they're for sure not staying stuck to the walls) I understand that this is probably an impossible endeavor. I cannot imagine how I would not die on this trip. However, that makes it something to consider if I'm ever diagnosed with a terminal illness. (fuck, there goes Saturn AGAIN) Well, maybe not. There would probably be a period of absolute terror before the actual death and it may be that the death itself would be quite unpleasant.

Possibly I'm foreseeing my own death. Not the cause of death itself, simply the mental departure from this world. I'm in a kayak. Maybe I'm wearing a wetsuit, maybe not. Maybe a life jacket, maybe not. It really doesn't matter because I am no longer living. I find myself in a body of water. Ocean? Lake? Who cares. All I can see is water and sky. There's a bit of a breeze, only marked by the gentle slap of waves against my bow. I pick up my paddle, dip it into the water, and begin gliding. I continue this way for a bit. It could be minutes, or hours I guess. There's no sense of time here; there's no need for it. Despite my continuous movement, I feel no strain in my muscles, no click of my wrist. There is only the sound of the water, of the breeze, of my heart beating. That beating gradually slows. It stops entirely when I take my paddle out of the water and lay it across my boat. Momentum guides me and I fade away into nothing.












I apologize for the hostility.

No comments: