Sunday, July 26, 2009

I found myself caught entirely off guard.

My parents left to go camping this morning, so I have the house to myself for almost a week. In order to stave off an existential crisis for as long as possible (I had already forgone any makeup or hair care and donned old, worn-out clothing - not a good sign), I began cleaning my room.

As I put things away in my closet, I saw a white dress I didn't recognize. Upon pulling it out, I recalled buying it with my mom. It was on clearance somewhere for five dollars and it fit me; it had been much too good of a deal to pass up (though I had no need for a beautiful white dress at the time). The dress looked out of place in the chaos of my bedroom - it stood out from the work t-shirts, sunglasses, and jeans that littered every surface. 

Without thinking about it, I slipped out of my clothes. I stood for a moment and looked at the dress in front of me. I was acutely aware of my surroundings: the Current playing faintly from the living room, one of my neighbor's mowing his lawn, the fan sending a cool breeze across my bare skin. Goosebumps raised on my arms as I stepped into the dress. I tugged up the zipper in back and smoothed the layers of fabric. 

I turned around and found a stranger staring back at me from the mirror. The woman I saw was me, but different. I was five or ten years my future self - married and beginning my very own life. My face looked older - untouched by makeup, but time had done its work etching my features deeper into my skin. My eyes held the same gleam they have now. 

Breath caught in my throat, I brushed the hair out of my eyes and my reflection changed again. This version of me was maybe ten or fifteen years ahead. I had children, two of them. I was harping at them to clean their rooms, hoping that I was raising them well, and praying that they live their lives to the fullest.

I raised a hand to my heart in disbelief and saw my mother staring back at me. Her life would become mine, for better or for worse. 

My hands shook slightly as I unzipped the dress and let it fall to the floor under me. Cautiously, I hung it up and put it back in my closet. 

I don't need that dress yet; it can wait a while. 

No comments: