Tuesday, July 14, 2009

An assortment of goodies.

It's interesting what information you can glean about a person by rummaging through (or just observing) the contents of their pockets, purse, car, etc. Allow me to compare and contrast the three people (including myself) with whom I spent the day.

Joey Stych role: best friend
pockets: iPhone, wallet, sometimes keys
analysis: The basics. Nothing exciting in his wallet - simply money, id, credit card, receipts. nothing on his key chain save for the single car key. The iPhone is slightly more revealing. it is simply packed with apps - those used for functionality (the standard texting, camera, internet), convenience (facebook, directions, movie times), and entertainment (doodle jump, oregon trail, and that horrible dog whistle with which he tortures Sammy). In this one simple gadget, Joey happily surrenders himself to the world of Apple.
purse/bag: not applicable
car: empty cans of diet coke, auxiliary cord
analysis: Typical. Again, nothing exciting (especially because he shares the car with his sister). However, what is present is extremely classic slash archetypal of Joey. Never anything except Diet Coke in their fridge, the car is full of it. And the one true love of Joey's life adapted for his time in the car - the iPhone cord.

George Haworth role: british and usually drunk potential love interest
pockets: iPhone, wallet, keys
analysis: There seems to be a trend within the men who occupy my time. iPhones. George's approach to the iPhone is slightly different. Only one extra app adorns his mobile device. Specifically, one in which tanks blow each other up. He refuses to add anything else, holding to his cynicism and hatred for the world at large. Also, he never has cash. Ever. Which sucks because he owes me $10.
purse/bag: not applicable
car: air freshener, cd binder thing
analysis: In George's circumstances, the car itself is far more important than its contents. Some sort of snazzy BMW, George devotes his entire life to this car. He enrolled himself in photography classes at the Minnetonka Center for Art simply in order to take better photos of his car. Really. Anyway, I digress. A green turtle air freshener hangs from George's rear view mirror. He claims that it doesn't really work anymore. My thoughts are that it represents his ever-elusive soft spot - the evidence that he does, in fact, have something resembling a heart or soul. The music is the other key accessory here. George listens to music in phases. The last two times I've been in his car, it's gone from hardcore techno to a 90s alternative bender. Strange boy.

Me role: self-loathing college student constantly trapped in existential crises and suburbia
pockets: oddly shaped phone, chapstick
analysis: This hasn't changed since the beginning of high school. Cell phone in my left front pocket, chapstick in my right. Although I've gone through a few different phones and a few different chapstick flavors, my pockets stand firm in their purpose. Hoo-ah.
purse/bag: wallet, car keys, camera, iPod, anything else you can possibly imagine
analysis: Jackpot. I'm the fuckin modern day Mary Poppins (but meaner). I could take this space to list the entire contents of my purse. Which would be really dumb. If you know me well (and chances are you do because you're aware of the existence of this blog), you've probably seen my purse and its constant state of chaos. No more description necessary.
car: plastic animals, music nobody has ever heard of, toys, stolen yard signs, sports equipment, kite, etc.
analysis: Possibly one of the most accurate reflections of my mind, fractured as it may be. Junk from every facet of my life litters my car. I'm sick of typing and I'm sleepy. Abrupt end. Now.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is what came up when I had to google myself in class. It made me happy. I like the word Archetypal.