Saturday, May 9, 2009

Things are winding down...

My room is freaking barren. The walls are blank - no more Van Gogh prints, no more sanded picture frames, no more island utopias, no more photos from prem and the "good old days," no more countless bandannas and belts and hats clipped everywhere. I even took down the cow spots (leftovers from a speech). My bed is pure chaos. It's littered with all of the crap that I have yet to shove into my bags - last night I was so tired that I just slept on top of it all (clothing, textbooks, water bottles, and the like) instead of finishing cleaning/packing.

And the goodbyes. Those dreadful goodbyes have begun. Oh dear.

On a lighter note, my writing professor Nina set me off with a good idea for this summer. She told me about a group of people who committed to write one haiku every single day for a year. It kept them writing, it kept them in touch. Nina, knowing my affinity for haikus, mentioned this to me as a potential venture. At my embrace of the idea, she made me promise that I'd email them to her on occasion.

I'm starting the day I get back to Minnesota - May 12. One haiku every single freaking day. It's going to be hard, but I need to make it happen. Maybe I won't start with a year; maybe I'll just start with the summer. Still, it's a lot. Wish me luck.

No comments: