Thursday, May 21, 2009

Settle, settle.

Summer is almost becoming summer. Things are good at work. I went to see Michael Pollan speak at Barnes and Noble during my break the other day. Last night Whitney and I walked around Lake Harriet and picnicked at Minnehaha Creek (we're both trying to fill an oceanic void). Tonight I'm hitting up the orch concert at Edina and then hanging out with Joey and his bff (wtf?) from school. One problem: I haven't been sleeping well. I don't sleep much and when I actually do pseudo-sleep, I get really weird dreams. Some are surreal, some are too real, some are just strange. I woke up-ish at 5 this morning and wrote down what I had just dreamt. I have no idea where this came from or what significance it has. Overall, it doesn't matter whatsoever. It was just peculiar. Verbatim what I wrote, bear with me.

Evidence was found that some recent killings had been done by a group of their friends? They had been pretty brutal massacres, somebody discovered photos indicating the people and the next intended target - my family. Dunno how we got the info. Prior to this there was a lot of activity in a grocery store, dunno why. But we knew what day the attack was going to come. My family spent time stocking up our house. Cereal, water, etc. Again, dunno why. It's a dream. I don't know why we didn't decide to leave the house. But we were staying.

Andy set up base camp in the kitchen with all of our provisions. We'd had some individual threats that I can't remember. The day came - it was a Saturday. We locked ourselves in the house. When a car or person would approach, we'd close all the curains and go to the kitchen. First false alarm: punk ass little boy talking abou frat parties. He wanted to be the killer but he was probably 12. Second false alarm: an old man and woman. Wanted water, we let them in, dunno why. I texted Andy while they were here. I didn't trust them. I kept telling Andy to somehow get the man's hat off. I thought there was something underneath. They left, it was ok. Third false alarm: Dana. She came over with her family. Had a rubber glove (partly frozen) and a washcloth. In a plastic bag. Wanted some water to make a frozen hand to get movie tickets. I didn't understand but I gave it to her. She left.

In the living room. It was dark outside. Talked to mom about the predicament, asking why we hadn't just left the house or told the police or gotten tons of people over instead of isolating ourselves. She said, "I don't know, Katie. Probably would have been a good idea." A man was creeping in our front yard. Dad opened the door, the man asked about what time some class got out. I live in a residential neighborhood. Dad said 7:30, the man left. I thought it was weird, then realized that the man was our demise. I was sitting in our living room, looking out at our street through the big front window. People start streaming out of John Carlis's house. My parents mutter "Dennis, it's Dennis." About fifty men in full swat gear leave the house, headed for us. They set fire to trees, shrubbery - people start coming out of their houses. The men have machine guns. Somebody asks out loud if we should relocate to the kitchen. I say, "no, they have machine guns. It's over." My family seemed to kind of agree. Outside they still approached. Random other people - people I didn't know - had gotten a couple weapons away from the men and were firing into them. To no avail. I consciously thought that I wanted my mom - I wanted to hold her hand before I was gunned down in my own home. I woke up.

No comments: