Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Conquest at Olomana Peak

This afternoon I should have been studying for finals. I didn't. Instead I took on a five-hour adventure: hiking Olomana Peak. Tiffany was supposed to do this with me, but she had to work. So I set off alone, terrified, excited, and determined above all else. Here are some photo-highlights intermingled with words.

I left my room at 2. After a 45 minute walk, I found myself down the Pali Hwy and over a ways to where I needed to begin (that was a strange sentence). The hike actually commenced at about 3. Let me just say, the first peak was a bitch. I honestly didn't think I would make it to the top of the first peak (obviously I got over that). Anyway, the first peak took roughly an hour. Next time it'll take less time because I'll be less of a pansy about it. Whatever. The photo is one of those delightfully vertical portions where you only have a rope. It's worse on the third peak. Waaaay worse.

Fuck blogger, the photos aren't working now. I'll try later. The words will take it from here. Never mind! They work now.

Part way up the first peak, I met two local guys (their pace put mine to shame). They passed me, but when I got to the rope part the younger guy was standing there looking lost. Turns out he was really freaked out and couldn't figure out how to go straight up. He introduced himself as Mark and I showed him how to get up the large rock in front of us. At the top of the first peak I was introduced to Donovan - the older of the two. Here we rested and I ate an apple. Yay. The guys weren't planning on continuing past the first peak - they had Cinco de Mayo plans. I announced that I was definitely going to do the second peak and by the time I finished my apple, they were halfway to the next peak. This photo is a view of the second and third peaks from the top of the first peak. Woof.

It only took about thirty minutes to get from the first peak to the second peak. A little climb down, a little climb over, and a little climb up. From here, you could see the epic-ness of the third peak in all its glory. We chilled for a few minutes there. I wanted to do the third peak but was concerned that I would run out of sunlight. I decided "fuck it" and started down the rope. Mark and Donovan weren't planning on taking on the final peak, but they waited until I got down the (extensive) rope portion and yelled back that I was safe and not dead. I continued down the second peak on my way to the third, scooching myself along where it was too steep and gravelly to walk efficiently. When I paused to get some water, I turned around to find Mark and Donovan coming down the rope. I was happy. (The photo is a view from the top of the third peak. I'm just trying to spread them out for aesthetic continuity.)

I'm not going to lie, the third peak was tough. Lots of rope, lots of vertical climbing. This is also the most dangerous portion of the hike. Really. Anyway, I made it up to the top of the third peak (Mark was kind of freaked out by the ropes again - fear of heights - so neither of them made it the entire way). There was a little metal box up there, tied to a tree. I opened it, spilling its contents (see the lovely little photo). There was a little notebook so I added a blurb, a haiku, and my name. Although I was exhausted and sweaty and grubby, I cannot express to you how absolutely amazing it felt to be up there.

Anyway, the hike back was pretty terrible. I was not only exhausted, I was also running out of light and water. Mark and Donovan waited for me at the top of the second and first peaks to make sure I was alright (I was very appreciative). On the way down the first peak, however, they fuckin booked it (they later claimed they had to make up for me schooling them on the third peak). I made it down in maybe 35 minutes and they were nowhere to be found. Consequently, I really didn't like going down the first peak. Rough on the ankles and knees. (Same thing with the photo, it's from the top of the third peak.)

Dead tired, I reached the road and walked fifteen minutes or so, hopped a gate, and continued on my merry way. I was absolutely dreading the 45 minute walk back up the Pali - this time in the dark. Much to my delight, Mark and Donovan pulled up, having stopped at 711 to get waters. They promised to find me via facebook and asked me to not forget about them so we could all hike together this fall. Mark drove me back to campus, a very very very welcome favor.

I might not be able to get out of bed tomorrow. I'm pretty ok with that. It was a good day.

1 comment:

whitney! said...

much better than studying, and DEFINITELY doing something with your life. congrats!