Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Maybe I'm scarier than I thought.

Yesterday Justin didn't show up for work. For the second or third day in a row. Generally, it's not a huge deal - we're perfectly capable of accomplishing things and being productive without his presence. However, we ran into a snag while going through some stuff he had been working on. Andrea and Debbie (our bosses) sent me to find Justin. Luckily, he lives in the next building over.

I was aggravated at this point - sick of him not coming to work when we actually need him. I got up to the seventh floor, marched down the hall. I knocked on the door - it wasn't quite a pound, but it was a very intense knock that definitely meant business. Justin's roommate Mike opened the door, a toothbrush sticking out of his mouth. "Where is he?" I demanded (I'm kind of peeved at Mike so I didn't feel bad about being harsh). Justin's head popped up from the couch; I could see him past Mike holding the door open. "WHY AREN'T YOU AT WORK?" Needless to say, Justin got his ass off the couch pretty fast. As I berated him for sleeping through work and not having his cell phone on, Mike commented, "Wow. Next time Justin won't go to French all I need to do is get an angry white chick up here." I flipped him off and left the apartment. It was actually a remarkably good day.

On an unrelated note, I heard back from Wanderlust. I had submitted a couple random little things and they accepted my "series of college related haikus." I posted the haikus a while back, they're somewhere on the blog. Before I submitted, I took out the one about skittles. I really liked the haiku, but it didn't really have anything to do with the rest of them. Also, here's the binary code poem. It's a work in progress.

I see words move past me
sentences and phrases
simply bounce against people
tumble to the ground
or fly past
grazing elbows
getting lodged in backpacks
some are otherwise forgotten

I feel like I’m speaking in binary code
zeroes and ones
Maybe it’s just that nobody listens

No comments: