Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I'm a bad person.

It's been a month. Yikes. I have to admit, I'm pretty disappointed in myself. Sure I have my excuses. School, work, sick, big island, blah blah blah. Point is, it's been a month. But I'm back. Here was an assignment for LIT 2520H - it's based on three poems: When You Are Old by William Butler Yeats, Sonatina by Ruben Dario, and Tonight I Can Write by Pablo Neruda (one of my all-time favorite poems). My class hated the princess, they thought she was a bitch. The only person who actually liked the character was the only male in the class. Huh.

Escape Without End

The Princess waited in her ivory tower
Desired escape
And nothing but

The opportunity came in the form of a man
A shining knight
She resented this

The knight on his steed swept her away
Gallantly
Of course

Spoke to her of his kingdom beyond
His castle
She didn’t care

He loved her with every ounce
Every figment
Of his soul

She left him for another man
One more escape
A broken heart

He remained in his forlorn tragedy
Lost without her
Silent smile

The Princess continued her journey
Using the man
He didn’t know

He gave her everything she wanted
His whole life
Or so he thought

But she disappointed once again
Leaving silently
Alone

His face became one of many
Just a cloud
In the sky

The Princess found herself
Free.

No comments: