Monday, November 10, 2008

Bits and Pieces

This morning, like every Monday morning, I walked my usual path from Lokelani to the AC for my Oceanographic Field Techniques lecture. Halfway there, I looked down to realize that I wasn't wearing any shoes. I paused, then shrugged and kept walking. It definitely wasn't worth turning around and I was very much ok with that.

Upon reaching class, I had a feeling of dread. We were to get last week's quizzes back and I did not feel that I had done my best work. In fact, I had felt extremely unprepared for the quiz and felt super duper guilty about probably getting a bad grade. Much to my surprise, I got a 92. Yesss!

I continued my streak when Brian (my professor) began talking about how deprived of literature we all are. He wrote an author's name on the board and challenged the class to come up with the title of any of their works. There was a moment of silence in the room. Luckily, the name he wrote was Vonnegut. "Breakfast of Champions," I said. "Slaughterhouse Five, Cat's Cradle, Timequake, Mother Night, Deadeye Dick." Brian said nothing, but smiled.

He continued discussing authors of fiction and mentioned the name Christopher Moore. He paused and turned towards me expectantly. I grinned."Practical Demonkeeping, Bloodsucking Fiends, Island of the Sequined Love Nun, The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove." Another smile. Then back to talking about boats.

It's a good day.

35 days and I'm home.

No comments: