Wednesday, March 10, 2010

baffling/perplexing/anomalous

This has been an interesting week. It has been filled, thus far, with physical trauma as well as other adventures.

Monday: As I readied my backpack for the day ahead, I glanced at my iHome. It told me that I had five minutes to get to my staff meeting. No problem. As I shoved another book into my bag and scanned the room for my jump drive, I glanced at my calculator watch. It told me that I had less than a minute to get to my staff meeting. Problem. My cell phone confirmed my predicament. Major problem.

I sprinted out my front door and toward the stairs that would lead me to my meeting. I was determined not to be late. Desafortunadamente, my right foot hit a patch of mud and slid from the path. My left foot followed suit by slamming toe-first into the pavement. Cursing loudly (especially for 9am on a Monday) I hobbled up the stairs as my toe bled onto my slipper.

Tuesday: Dress rehearsals for Da Freakshow had gone smoothly and we were preparing for our act. I wandered up to the dressing rooms on the third floor to say hello to Billy and we chatted for a minute as he played somebody's guitar. Nicole came out and congratulated me on our rehearsal, saying that Travis stole the show with his awkward attempts at dance. We both laughed and began down the stairs.

My right foot (I think there's something intrinsically wrong with it) landed a little too close to the stair's edge. It shot out from under me and down I went. Nicole screamed, concerned. Luckily, I'd had a hand on the banister so instead of flying down the stairs on my ass, I managed to catch myself with my upper arm. I painfully righted myself and cautiously proceeded down the stairs. The bruise began sprouting within about 15 seconds.

Wednesday: Da Freakshow was over and I could finally take a deep breath. I returned to my daily breakfast routine, something I had forgone in order to capture as much sleep as possible during our heavy rehearsal schedule. Toast, banana, and cottage cheese were nestled on my tray as I sat down at the table. I cut my toast in half and took a few bites. I was vaguely conscious of something in my eye (normal for having just woken up). Per usual, I used one finger to ease down my bottom lid and the other to eliminate the infringing debris.

As I removed my hand from my face, I was conscious that my efforts had been in vain, as my eye was blinking in an aggravated manner. I looked toward my hand and discovered the culprit: a glob of peanut butter was smeared on the end of my finger. I had just stuck peanut butter in my eye.

It is now Wednesday evening and I hope the rest of my week goes smoothly. We will see.

2 comments:

Jonathon Hackett said...

Wonderful.

whitney! said...

I like the use of desafortunadamente.