Monday, February 28, 2011

the usual concerns

Like most people, I hope for a family someday. When asked why, however, I don't know exactly what to say.

I look at myself and my parents, and I cannot imagine why anybody would elect to have a family.

1) Families are expensive. Think about medical payments, car insurance, tuition, and groceries. That money is not a loan. I am not going to reimburse my parents for my music lessons or my bed. Families cost thousands upon thousands of dollars. I struggle to support myself.

2) Families are exhausting. When I come home from class every day, all I want to do is sleep. I don't want to run errands, make food, or write papers. I don't want to sweep, do laundry, or unclog the shower drain. All I want is a glass of water and some solitude.

3) Families are dramatic. Fighting is unavoidable. There are simply too many issues, most of which are money. Even outside of money, the points of contention abound. I get stuck in family politics, people dying, and the fact that I and not Andy am going to be the one taking care of my parents in their old age. It causes problems.

4) Families are terrifying. My parents' relationship makes me never want to get married. It makes me want to run screaming from any potential long-term companion. That I might one day be responsible for the outcome of another life is more petrifying yet. Despite my best efforts, my future child may cheat, lie, or use emoticons excessively. And I will have to love it unconditionally.

If this is the reality, why do people so desire family? Why do they pursue spice (spouses) and hope for children?

Is it really worth it?

No comments: